Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Still No Aid????

The word is that my sisters are the first medical people to arrive in this area of Carrefour and have been working non-stop. They still have no doctor to work under so they are doing the best that they can, and apparently, so are the rest of our people...Bryan, Trav and Kate, too.

I am so thankful for our little farm, now. These kids have pulled lambs from ewes in distress, cleaned out infections, taken blood samples, shot antibiotics and medication...and it's a good thing. Isn't that interesting? Whenever we had farm injuries, and deaths, we thought it was terrible. Now I am thanking God for that little bit of knowledge.

Everybody has become a doctor, even some of the missionaries who faint at the sight of blood. The injured congregate in little camps around the area, waiting for treatment, food and water.

There also has been no sign yet of food or water from the outside. They are probably trying to supply the "tent cities." Maybe that's why the people still in the city haven't seen anything.

A shipment of rice is en route from Gonaive, thanks to your generous giving. Our people in Carrefour are worried about losing it to desperate people (I will NOT call them looters) before it gets to our area.

So far, food is being smuggled into Louis' house, which is still standing, and then smuggled out again in backpacks full of little baggies with food in them. These get quietly distributed throughout the community. The rice shipment is worrisome. Pray about this. But, even if the rice is taken from the truck, at least it will be eaten by someone who needs it.

As of yesterday, our people have run out of food to distribute.

The Smokers are so thankful for Jon and that plane, which has been their ONLY link to emergency supplies and outside help. We are never too small to make a big difference with God as our provider. I am seeing that more and more every day.

Beni swa l'Eternel!

2 comments:

  1. Wahoo!! Hooray!!! (cheerleading again, oh well, this seems to be my only spiritual gift)
    Any way, I think I am a typical church person - what can I do? I think I should pray and get creative also. Very unlike me. It's more like me to live by this terrible motto: When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout! I'm very thankful for your updates, Lisa, it is so great to feel like I'm walking through this with you guys. Beni swe l'eternel!!

    ReplyDelete