Saturday, January 23, 2010

Kate

"One of the people I grew closest to was a man named Patrick. He was probably in his 30's. He was one of our translators and also one of the men who secretly delivered packages of food to people in need throughout the community."

"One day, I was talking to him. He was so happy that I didn't think he had lost anything. I asked him about his family."

"He took out a little picture of his whole family. And he just pointed to the different people who had died: his three sisters...his grandma...his fiancee."

And then he looked at me and he smiled." Kate is sobbing now as she continues, "He said, 'It's O.K...God is so good...I am here...And you are here now.' Then he collected his things, and walked away... to continue carrying food to his people. That was the only time I cried on the trip. But since I came home, I've cried a lot.

"Another little boy I was working on had gashes on his arm, head and leg. Aunt Heidi and April fixed his head and moved on to his leg. I was fixing his arm.

When we finished, he said, 'Merci, Jezi.'....It's not that I was Jesus, it's that they saw an answered prayer. They saw Jesus, through me.

"At midnight we would hear people praising God in the streets. They were raising their hands and clapping. Dancing in the dust of their city. The Haitian Christians are not taking this like I took it, when I first heard about the earthquake. I was mad. These people were not cursing God for what they had lost, they were thanking him for what they still had."




1 comment:

  1. To me you guys are all living examples of what Jesus was talking about here:
    Luke 9:23-30 (New International Version)
    23Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. 25What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?

    ReplyDelete