Saturday, January 23, 2010

Kate Keeps Talking

"My first patient was a woman between the ages of 50 and 60. She was lying face-down on a filthy, fly-infested mattress. One-fourth of her back was covered with scrapes. I asked someone to translate for me."

"He said she had broken her back and was unable to move. Here in America, I would question someone who told me they had broken their back and couldn't move. In Haiti, however, when someone says they cannot move, they mean it. The Haitians are a strong, tough people, who can even work with broken bones. She could move her neck and arms, but not her lower body."

"I cleaned her wounds as best I could. Aunt Heidi and April came over from working with other patients. Whoever's patient it was, was their turn to pray aloud. Since this was mine, I knew I would have to pray."

"I love to pray. But I hate to pray out loud. I never know how to say it quite right. This time, however, the words spilled out of my mouth. I said, 'God, we can't do anything for this woman. Her back is broken and she needs to be healed. And You, God, have the power to heal, so I ask this in Jesus' Name. Amen.' We always kept it simple and brief. Prayers that are too long just get annoying. God knows what we want because he reads our hearts."

"When I walked through that same area later that week, I saw her walking, supported by a "cane" (it was a stick). She limped over, sat in a chair, and I re-bandaged her wounds. She smiled at me and said, 'merci Jezi' and I said, 'Beni swa l'eternel.' " (which translates: 'thank you, Jesus' and 'Blessed be the Eternal One')."

"Some might say her back was sprained. But knowing the Haitian people, and knowing Jesus Christ, I know she was healed."

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment